MCH League of Volunteers
The League of Volunteers, organized in 1968, is a group of committed community members who
volunteer their time to assist the hospital in providing the highest level of patient care
services in support of the hospitals mission statement.
In addition to the hospital services listed below the League of Volunteers also conduct craft
and bake sales and opportunity raffles twice a year with the net proceeds from its sales going
to purchase medical equipment for the hospital. The amount of funds donated by the League for
this purpose has been over $1,100,000 since the hospital opened in 1971.
Volunteers are invited to attend a quarterly luncheon meeting provided by the hospital.
Volunteers provide the hospital with the following services:
Hospital Related Services
To provide a combination of patient/visitor support and staff support.
- Assist hospital staff by delivering specimens to the Lab, paperwork to designated
departments and other necessary errands throughout the hospital.
- Provide limited clerical assistance as requested by Administration.
- Welcome and escort outpatients to registration, treatment areas or surgery.
- Transfer, via wheelchair, patients entering or leaving hospital or going to treatment
areas. Transfer patient records as patient enters/leaves the hospital.
- Deliver Flowers, cards, magazines, food, drink, etc. to patients after being logged
accurately and permission given by nursing supervisor.
- Monday thru Friday (except holiday schedule) 9:00AM to 1:00PM or 1:00PM to 5:00PM
Reception Desk Services
In collaboration with the patient, the family and/or the health care team, and
with assistance from Hospital Related Volunteers, the Reception Desk Volunteer shall provide
information and location services.
- Assure that all visitors, patients, staff and administration are pleasantly greeted,
have their questions answered or are escorted or directed to an appropriate area of
- Answer on-site phone by identifying oneself and your location. Clearly and concisely
convey directive to Hospital Related Services volunteer regarding room/department
where service is needed.
- Give only accurate and appropriate information to incoming outside phone callers or visitors.
- Keep current patient room list so as to easily and quickly locate hospital inpatients.
- Monday Thru Friday (except holiday schedule) 9:00AM to 1:00PM of 1:00PM to 5:00PM
To provide merchandise for the convenience of visitors, staff and patients. Additionally,
this process creates funds, which the League contributes to the hospital to further its mission. The
Gift Shop is entirely managed and staffed by Volunteers.
- Operate cash register using correct key tabs for various merchandise, give correct change
and prepare cash reserve for next shift.
- Follow accounting procedures, including payroll deduction, Gift Certificates and Visa/Master
- Assist customers in gift selection and gift-wrap items when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as needed such as dusting, rearranging merchandise and restocking
- Monday thru Friday:
- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- 1:00PM to 5:00PM
- 5:00PM to 8:00PM
- Saturday & Sunday
To deliver confidential mail, other printed matter and packages to the offices of
physicians via a designated mail route and return collected physician mail back to the hospital.
Work under the direction of the Purchasing Department manager.
- Pick up mail and packages at Purchasing Department and deliver to Physician offices,
utilizing a hospital vehicle and determining the most appropriate and time saving route.
- Pick up mail at physician offices and deliver to other physician offices in route
order only. Picked up mail that is not in route order is returned to the hospital for
sorting and next day delivery.
- If necessary, fill vehicle with gas at designated service station using appropriate
credit card. Receipts are turned over to Purchasing Department manager.
- Upon returning to the hospital, park vehicle in designated parking slot and return
keys to Purchasing Department.
- Monday thru Friday: 9:30AM to 12 Noon
Currently the League of Volunteers has approximately 100 active members and 35 Junior Volunteers.
The League is always looking for local residents who would like to become a member and volunteer
time at Madera Community Hospital.
For more information about becoming a member of the League of Volunteers, please contact Rae Gomes,
Community Relations Director of Madera Community Hospital, at (559) 675-5503 or by e-mail at
Click on the appropriate link below to print out a volunteer application and cover letter, mail
completed application to:
Madera Community Hospital
1250 E. Almond Ave.
Madera, CA 93637